The PHCC-PUAC Training Facility offers three training programs :
STATE APPROVED APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
California requires the use of apprentices on all local and state public works construction projects. PHCC Apprentices are registered with the State of California, Division of Apprenticeship Standards and are certified to work as apprentices on public work projects. Apprentices are required to complete 800 hours of classroom instruction and 7,200 hours of on the job training with the program lasting four (4) years.
The classroom instruction is conducted in two (2) week segments per year held at the PHCC PUAC Training Facility in Sacramento, CA. Students work for a contractor and are paid for their On-the-Job-Training. The sponsoring contractor pays the yearly enrollment fee.
Students are taught all facets of plumbing from residential, service & repair, to commercial construction.
The PHCC Apprenticeship program is approved in 47 Northern California counties
Alameda, Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, Contra Costa, Del Norte, El Dorado, Fresno, Glenn, Humboldt, Kern, Kings, Lake, Lassen, Madera, Marin, Mariposa, Mendocino, Merced, Modoc, Monterey, Napa, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Benito, San Francisco, San Joaquin, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Sonoma, Solano, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Tulare, Tuolumne, Yolo and Yuba.
The trainee program is offered to employers who perform residential and/or private commercial work. These employers want to provide an education to their employees to create a stronger workforce. The trainee program parallels the State Approved Apprenticeship Program and is offered throughout the state. Trainees are not registered with the Division of Apprenticeship Standards and cannot work on public work projects as an apprentice. This program is also employer sponsored and the students are paid for their On-the-Job-Training. The sponsoring contractor pays the yearly enrollment fee.
FEDERALLY APPROVED APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
The Federally approved Apprenticeship program is in conjunction with the State approved program. The students are registered with the United States, Department of Labor.
- Skilled workers trained to industry/employer specifications to produce quality results
- Meet public works requirements for utilizing California state & federally-registered apprentices
- Reduced turnover
- Provides systematic training to develop more informed and productive employees
- Apprentices are more committed to the employer
- Increased productivity
- Reduced training costs
- Earn While You Learn a Trade/Occupation
- Earn State & Federally-Registered Apprenticeship Status
- Portable credentials that are nationally recognized
- Demonstrate Your Advanced Knowledge in the Plumbing Industry
- Gain Instant Professional Credibility
- Conduct Knowledgeable Conversations with Clients/Homeowners
- Stand Head and Shoulders above the Competition
- Increase Your Earnings Potential
- Advance Your CAREER!
PHCC-GSA-PUAC offers State registered apprenticeship programs in 46 Northern California Counties and Federal registered apprenticeship programs statewide with a proven history of graduating qualified Journeymen. We also offer trainee programs statewide.
Apprentices and Trainees Eligibility Requirements
Potential students with the PHCC Program must:
- Be at least eighteen (18) years old
- Have a High School Diploma or equivalent GED or High School Proficiency Certificate
- Valid California drivers license
- Be physically able to perform the work of the trade
- Complete an enrollment application. Bring your completed application to the examination appointment
- Pass Entrance Exam. Entrance Exams are offered Monday –Thursday from 8:00 am – 1:00 pm at the Sacramento Location. Contact the PHCC Training Facility to schedule exam or attend one of the drop in dates. You will take a written examination consisting of reading comprehension, math, and a ruler exam
- Pass Oral Interview: You will be given an oral interview by one of the members of the training staff
If interested in more information about becoming an State & Federally Registered Apprentice/Trainee – Please email us, and include name, address, telephone and county of residence.